Newcastle Island ParkÂ Itâ€™s commonly stated that this islandâ€™s â€œthe most haunted island in the Pacific.â€ Many people have died in the mines beneath Newcastle, and at least one person died when it was briefly a smallpox colony. This forested parkâ€™s most famous ghost, however, is that ofÂ Peter Kakua, a Hawaiian axe murderer who killed his wife, in-laws and infant daughter. No cemetery was available to him, so he was buried in an unmarked grave on the island to which he had fled. His last night alive was spent in the Bastion (see next entry). His spirit is said to roam the beaches at dusk. There are many urban legends of teenagers disappearing, etc.
- Saltspring Island Archives: Newcastle IslandÂ by Tom Koppel.Â Audio FileÂ (1987)
- Spirits & Ghosts of Downtown NanaimoÂ CD by Donna Hill & Bruce Angus (2007)*
- Shaw TV Nanaimo: the Ghost of Newcastle IslandÂ (video)
- Paranormal Hot Spots: Kanaka PeteÂ (not historicallyÂ accurate)
- Secondhand Souls 4 Occult: the Haunting of Kanaka Pete